[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Pittsburgh Tech Shop Open House tomorrow

  • From: James Keener <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 12:31:40 -0400

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to limit the amount of information you
give out to people or that things won't change. I just think it's a dishonest
thing to claim someone is doing it when you have no reason to say so and to
complain that someone is using a service for something they shouldn't be
expected to write on their own.

Perhaps they don't want to be strictly associated with meetup and chose a more
mature platform for ticketing to use at other, non free events? Perhaps
techshop wants your address for their own marketing proposes!

Do you complain that tech shops credit card processor has your information? If
you chose not to use a service they've chosen to outsource to, contact them to
for alternate arrangements. If everyone who has the same concerns as you did so
they may see it as advantageous to change their policies.

Look, I'm all for limiting my digital footprint and being in control of my own
information. I take no issue with that! I take issue when unsupported and
unsubstantiated claims are just made up as the reason to do so.

Jim