[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Pittsburgh Tech Shop Open House tomorrow

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 12:09:13 -0400

On 3/28/15 22:28, James Keener wrote:
While I obviously cannot speak for them officially then or now, when I
worked for ShowClix that wasn't a practice they practiced.

I was the privacy and security guy at TiVo for ~10 years. I've spent enough time with lawyers that I know how easy it is to change the rules as needed to meet new business requirements.

Showclix doesn't need my name, address, and phone number for a free ticket. Ok, email address I can understand, but now I'm in their customer database. They have a vague privacy policy that doesn't state what they do with that data, who internally has access to it, when it will be purged, etc. They offer analytics, but those are easier to make anonymous. (You want to get really bored, ask me about parsing 40G of text files for a daily OBIEE report that turns likes/dislikes into bar graphs. :-)

processing.  Ticketing isn't Tech Shop's focus, and I wouldn't expect

I agree. Since they've been using Meetup for the past two years for event organization why add a new ticket system?

--
J. Eric Townsend
<http://www.flatline.net>