[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Laptop with parallel port needed for Modela

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:12:27 -0500

if you don't have minicom running, kermit is your new friend for this sort of thing.

On 1/29/11 11:53, Matthew Beckler wrote:
IIRC, in my inkscape "save as" extension that writes the modela file
format, it asks you for your output dimensions, so we could probably
change those numbers, and it _should_ scale the output to your desired
print size and offset. I can play around with it later if need be.

--
Matthew

On 01/29/2011 08:00 AM, Ed Paradis wrote:
Awesome!

I figured that 'F' was 'Feedrate' and I tried changing it, but didn't
get anywhere.

I'm almost thinking that some sort of 'live' control software needs to
be written to explore the settings.  An inkscape template like the one
for eggbot would also help. Also some sort of "unit to real life"
conversion factor. ... Probably a lot of other things too.

I'm going to go through this document.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Matthew Beckler<matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Attached is what I think is the description of the command language the
Modela accepts.

Looks like we can change the XY feed rate with the F command. I think
the default "preamble" from my inkscape-modela script sets vertical feed
rate to 30, and XY feed rate also to 30. Not sure what units. You could
try changing that in the header to see if that helps.

--
Matthew

On 01/14/2011 11:54 AM, Matthew Beckler wrote:
Also, also, I just found a 47mb zip file of what looks like the original
windows software for the modela. Haven't tried it out or anything.

http://www.mbeckler.org/PiczaModella.rar

--
Matthew

On 01/14/2011 10:22 AM, Matthew Beckler wrote:
Also, I just found the notes I took when I was working with the Modela
engraver last time:

origin is lower-left when looking at unit on table
x axis increases to the right
     origin is about even with the left vertical slider
     max x is about even with the right vertical slider
     max x value is about 5800, which is the max usable value

y axis increases to the top
     origin is even with the bottom of the carriage
     max y is even with the top of the carriage
     max y value is about 4000

z of about -1500 is nearly hitting the orange plastic panel base
z of anything positive is the highest (further from work piece)

the spindle appears to accept 1/4" tools

--
Matthew

On 01/14/2011 09:48 AM, Matthew Beckler wrote:
On 01/13/2011 10:49 PM, Ed Paradis wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Matthew Beckler<matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I have an old Dell 166 mhz that is in fine working condition

A 166MHz machine is probably too slow if we plan to run Inkscape on
it.  If we can use it as a print server of sorts, than it'd be plenty
fast, I think.

At this point it might be the best we can do. All the "modela server"
needs to do is to cat a text file out the printer's device. Tonight, I
can probably whip up a quick daemon to listen on some random high port,
and send the received file to the parallel port. That way we wouldn't
need X or anything too fancy on the modela server.

Does anyone have an adapter for old laptop hard drives, to connect them
to USB or a regular hard drive connector? This is an old hard drive, so
it's a parallel-ATA drive, not a SATA laptop drive.

--
Matthew

--
J. Eric Townsend