[guispeak] Re: how to read print with only a scanner and screen reader?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:02:46 -0000

Hi Harry,

Come down off the ceiling!  You're not alone with your
frustration, I assure you.

The software I have seen with the Cannon is a pretty much
free or "lite" product, and really only does the very
basics.

Omnipage and/or Text Bridge, a relatively low cost OCR
packages which integrate with Notepad, Wordpad, Word for
Windows and such like.

If they are installed and set up properly, an item will
appear in the File menu of Notepad, etc., which is usually
called "Acquire Text" or similar.  You select that option
and the OCR software will automatically trigger, scan the
page, and bring it in to Notepad.  You can then read it with
your screen reader software.

It's not difficult to set up, but ideally needs a little
help from someone sighted  with a shade of computer savvy.

George.

________________________________

        From: Andy Baracco <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Apparently from: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
a scanner and screen reader?
        Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:17:46 -0800

        You cannot read scanned images directly with a
screen reader, as a screen
        reader can only read text. You must use some kind of
optical character
        recognition software to convert the scanned image to
text. You need not
        use a blindness oriented product. You can use an off
the shelf OCR package
        such as Omnipage and export the recognized scanned
image into a word
        processor such as MS WORD. You will need to have
some sophistication with
        the use of the computer and Windows to do this, but
there are many blind
        computer users who do this.
        Andy

        ** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:-
        **
[mailto:guispeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
        ** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click on the
        ** immediately-following link:-
        **
[mailto:guispeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]