[guidedogchat] Retirement

  • From: Nadine Lattimore <nadine.lattimore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:28:12 +0000

I dread it, if I really sit down and think about retiring Q I start to cry. Yes
I am a soft soul at the best of times but I think I can safely say I have good
reason.
Quartz is my first guide dog and the situation in which we came to be a working
unit was traumatic. I was sighted until approx 10 years ago, suffering very
deeply with depression and not a fan of dogs. When I qualified with Q 5 years
ago I was desperately trying to regain my independence by using a guide dog who
I knew I would grow to love. But so much more has happened in these intervening
years.
I have become comfortable in my new skin and am living life not just going
through the motions. There are good times and bad, but I no longer compare
everything I do to what I could have done.
Q turns 7 next month and we are tighter than ever. He travels everywhere
possible with me, numerous European trips a year and will be remembered as the
1st Irish Guide dog to attend the Paralympic Games, he is the team mascot and
my shadow.
In perfect health at present, but I know I will have to start making decisions
in the not too distant future.
Nadine Lattimore