[guidedogchat] Re: Retirement

  • From: "Louise Johnson" <herclouise@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 15:34:22 -0800

Hi retiring a guide dog is one of the things I don't like about having a
guide dog.  I hate the beginning of working with a new dog as you are
thinking that your other dog new the route and many other things you do in
your daily life.
I am on my fourth guide dog and the last three guide dogs retired for
different reasons and I with my first one wasn't even thinking of it. My
first son made the choice for me as he had a health issue and I couldn't
keep Loris my guide dog and I lost a lot of freedom as pushing a baby buggy
is hard and using a white cane My third guide dog decided he had enough work
and he decided that he didn't want to work for me and Hercules was six and a
half years old and I thought I still had time to work and enjoy him but he
took and said I have had enough of this.
Retirement is hard for each guide dog owner and we all have to figure out
how to get through it and it is not easy for us.  I hope your dog will work
for a long time yet.  I hope you two put in many more miles as a team good
luck and if you want a friend to talk to please remember there are friends
on this list like me who would gladly help

From Louise and Hawk .