[gptalk] Re: Complete list of all available CSEs and their functionality

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:20:43 +0200

Any ADMX/ADM setting is processed by the (what you call default) Registry CSE.

I have not seen a list since GPP was released, but there might be one out there.

If no one knows of a list, a (somewhat time consuming) way to find out is to
have a new GPO, use the Active Directory Explorer, ADSIEdit or another LDAP
tool to check the value gPCMachineExtensionNames or gPCUserExtensionNames
(depending if you are changing the user or computer part) of the GPO before and
after you do a setting you want to figure out what CSE is used to processes.
Compare the new GUID added with the ones you can find in
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions, do it at a computer where you have GPP
installed and the default registry key will tell you the name of the CSE.

You find the GPO objects in the CN=System, CN=Policies path of your domain,
each with a CN that matches the one you can see in GPMC as Unique ID.

Also the value you find in gPCMachineExtensionNames and gPCUserExtensionNames
comes in pairs within brackets, it is the first one you are interested in, the
second one is the GPO MMC snap-in that was used to edit the GPO.

So with this knowledge on how to figure it out added to the GP community
perhaps someone will create the full list :)

HTH,
Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com<http://www.specopssoft.com>
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/