[gptalk] Re: Complete list of all available CSEs and their functionality

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:48:42 +0200

Hendrikus,

the Registry CSE is pretty much the descendant of the old NT 4 policies, it has
GUID {35378EAC-683F-11D2-A89A-00C04FBBCFA2} (and is listed but no settings), it
is very special and not a "true" CSE to 100%, for example when you register
your own CSE, you can say that it should only process if the Registry CSE
successfully executed etc. But to sum up it is the CSE that is responsible for
anything under Administrative Templates, i.e. ADM/ADMX. Also a number of other
extensions rely on the Registry CSE, for example the Software Restriction
Policy as far as I recall, that in reality adds settings that the Registry CSE
will manage but from its own GPOE snap-in.

HTH,
Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com<http://www.specopssoft.com>
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/