[gps-talkusers] Re: auto versus ped travel and gps settings

  • From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:48:35 -0500

Hi,

different settings are used in different situations.  Personally I
love all of the LookAround stuff on even in a car, it gives me an
image of buildings I'm passing and can then converse with other
passengers>

The distances increase themselves.  when in a car going 30 to 40 mph I
will get the approaching turn message around 0.3 miles out where when
I am walking the approaching turn message is 250 feet.
These numbers are using the default of 50 feet.

I sometimes like intersections repeating, I also like turns repeating
Hope this helps.
Chris

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:51:00 -0800, "Mary Otten"
<maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>I'm a new sense nav user. I am really enjoying the virtual explore
>feature during this cold and rainy spell here in Eugene, Oregon.  but
>the sun must eventually come out even here, which leads me to ask a
>couple of questions about using the gps as a pedestrian versus when as
>a passenger in a car. For you experienced folks out there, are there
>some settings that you routinely change, turn on or off, depending
>whether you are a pedestrian or a passenger? Its pretty obvious that
>having all that look around stuff talk when in a car would be pretty
>nerve racking. but what about arrival distances or other things? Since
>an auto goes so much faster than one does on foot, the notification for
>being near the next turn or near the destination would have to be set
>to a greater distance than if one were traveling on foot, I'm sure, but
>I don't really have a feeling for what those distances should be.
when I'm in a route.