[gps-talkusers] Re: auto versus ped travel and gps settings

  • From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:14:27 -0500

Hi Mary. To add to what Chris mentioned, the distance of up-coming turns is automatically adjusted depending on the kind of route you are in and how fast you are going, so you don't need to adjust this yourself. Usually if I'm in a new area I leave everything on, but if I'm in a very familiar area, I usually set the lookaround to city only instead of all, this way as I approach a city marker POI, I hear that instead of all the commercial POIs. You can also just choose any other category to listen to. For example, if we are on a highway, I set the commercial POIs lookaround to only mention the exits category so the exit numbers are heard as well as restaurants, hotels, gas stations, ETC, things along the highways which are in the exits categories.

Mary Otten wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm a new sense nav user. I am really enjoying the virtual explore
feature during this cold and rainy spell here in Eugene, Oregon.  but
the sun must eventually come out even here, which leads me to ask a
couple of questions about using the gps as a pedestrian versus when as
a passenger in a car. For you experienced folks out there, are there
some settings that you routinely change, turn on or off, depending
whether you are a pedestrian or a passenger? Its pretty obvious that
having all that look around stuff talk when in a car would be pretty
nerve racking. but what about arrival distances or other things? Since
an auto goes so much faster than one does on foot, the notification for
being near the next turn or near the destination would have to be set
to a greater distance than if one were traveling on foot, I'm sure, but
I don't really have a feeling for what those distances should be.
mary

--
Raul A. Gallegos .. GW Micro Technical Support
Voice: 260-489-3671 .. Fax: 260-489-2608