[gps-talkusers] Sendero software on Apex, or Trekker Breeze?

  • From: Aine Kelly-Costello <ainekc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 14:41:03 +1300

Hi all

I am new to this list and have just started university, living at a hall of residence. The campus is in the city (of Auckland, New Zealand) and I was thinking of purchasing some GPS software to help with navigation around it, and particularly, for going to events which require bus/taxi transport to get to. I already have a BrailleNote Apex. A couple of years ago, I accidentally knocked the GPS software start-up and a 30-day trial begun. Back then, however, I wasn't interested and didn't want the trial but couldn't cancel it. So now, if I go in to it, I'm told my trial has expired even though I haven't actually tried it out.

I don't currently have a smartphone, so for GPS options I was tossing up between the Trekker and the Sendero software. Could anyone outline some pros, cons and considerations for each? I'm fine with navigating with speech or braille (I know the Trekker doesn't have a braille display), and I'll be taking my BrailleNote everywhere anyway so the transport side isn't really a problem. For example though, I'm wondering if the trekker might be more waterproof or easier to navigate with one hand while walking, or whether the Sendero maps on the BN would offer much more extensive information than the Trekker, or just anything like that generally?

Thank you very much in advance for your help; your time is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Aine Kelly-Costello
ainekc@xxxxxxxxx
University of Auckland