[gps-talkusers] Re: Lost receiver?

  • From: "Michael May" <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:14:31 -0800

In the early days, it was harder to lose a receiver because it was connected
by a wire. With the advent of Bluetooth, we solved that problem in two ways.
First, we had a custom case made by Executive products, which comes with
every receiver. It has a clip as well as a Velcro strap for extra security.
We also made a special strap, mostly used on the PK, which unclipped so you
could easily put the receiver in the window of a car and then quickly
reconnect the strap when you were ready to go. I have not lost a receiver
since doing these things.

It is quite true these days that good receivers are so sensitive, they don't
need to be on the shoulder or belt. Mine still is but it is certainly not
required if you don't have one of our cases.

It is easy to compare the sensitivity ratings of the various receivers. This
will give you an indication of how well they will work in canyons, in trains
or within buildings. The older Sirf 3 chipsets like the Breeze uses are
considerably less sensitive than the current receivers. Smaller receivers
also have a smaller patch antenna which are not as good as larger patch
antennas. In the open, they will all work fine. Sometimes, it is simply a
matter of 2 minutes to acquire on an old or small receiver and 20 seconds on
a new one.