[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS when flying?

  • From: Gil Lutz <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:43:26 -0400

Hi Alex and All,

I've used my GPS, as has Mike, on many flights. If you are concerned about using a Bluetooth device on a plane try this on your next flight. Do a search for BT devices from the KS options and I'm betting that you will find a whole bunch of PDAs operating on the flight. On one of my last flight there were six Blackberry's and several other BT devices reported when I did a search.

If you explain that you're using a GPS system for the blind to the Pilot most will allow you to use it. I hand the flight attendant a letter with a basic explanation of the system and a request to use it. I request that she give it to the pilot. I'v even had a pilot offer to give me a flight plan. I also always offer a demo and have been taken up on it twice. The pilots were very impressed with the info that I was receiving from my GPS.

You will most likely need to have a window seat and put your receiver very close to the window in order to receive satellites.

Try it, you'll be amazed how it will make a long trip enjoyable.

Gil

At 10:45 PM 8/7/2007, you wrote:

Not sure about wired receivers, but people tend to frown upon my use of my bluetooth, if they know what it is. As soon as I say "short-range wireless..." they say "no". A shame as I have always wanted to track a flight using my BN, and I expect I would get incredible satellite reception at 35,000 feet up.

Have a great day,
Alex