[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS Amplifiers

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:23:59 -0400

No, I don't think it was a dumb question.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that any gps receiver, which
provides an NMEA 0183 interface, is compatible.  This means you may not
be able to call Sendaro up and ask for help, but certainly you can buy
one that  accepts an external antena connection, and then buy a pre-amp.
It's possible that one of the models that Sendaro supports does allow
for an external antena to be connected, I don't know.

It's also possible that an external antenawith a pre-amp still won't
work any better indoors; buildings tend to generate a lot of RF, and my
impression is that pre-amps don't work well in those situations.

You could try asking on one of the gps news groups
(sci.geo.satellite-nav or alt.satellite.gps).  Those folks know (and I
really mean know, many of them are engineers for companies that design
GPS receivers) things like this.

Hth,

Chip