[gps-talkusers] Re: EGNOS (European WAAS)

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:01:06 -0700

Peter,

Our GPS program cannot tell the difference between WAAS and Egnos so for the moment, we announce WAAS when a corrected signal is apparent.

I have experienced WAAS many times over the years in Europe. However, the signal was not actually being corrected. Only the EGNOS satellite signal was picked up but not ground correction data was being used yet.

We explain this in our documentation but it isn't something anyone would notice easily. When EGNOS finally goes live and the correction is active, then you can enjoy the improved accuracy as good or better than the WAAS in the U.S.

I have also gotten a WAAS reading in New Zealand or Australia, I forget which one and that too is not a truly corrected signal.

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I posted to say that for the first time ever in the UK , Sendero was reporting WAAS, with best accuracy that day of eleven feet.

Since then, to my great disappointment, there has been no sign of WAAS. I finally found a European Commission document which explained that EGNOS, which is the European version of WAAS, had been delayed, but was due to go live in early 2008, so it seems that they may have been testing it on that day. The document also explained that Galileo, which is the full rolll-out of thirty satellites to give coverage equivalent or better than existing GPS, had been very much delayed, and now looks like going fully live somewhere around 2012, if it doesn't hit further economic and logistical problems.

For the moment I'm just looking forward to regular EGNOS, because the improvement was seriously useful.

Best,

Peter

--

*******

Peter Bosher,
Email: peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.soundlinks.com/
Tel': (+44) (0) 1494 794 797
Fax: (+44) (0) 1494 583 146
snail://
SoundLinks Limited,
43 Broadlands Avenue,
Chesham,
Bucks.
HP5 1AL
England.

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

"The GPS company:" Sendero Featuring GPS on the mPower, PK and Voice Sense. Also distributing Trekker, Victor Stream, KNFB Mobile Reader, Talks,, Tiger embossers, Miniguide and ID Mate

Crashing Through by Robert Kurson available at http://www.CrashingThrough.com

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

1-888-757-6810, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA