[gps-talkusers] EGNOS (European WAAS)

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:56:37 +0100

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I posted to say that for the first time ever in the UK , Sendero was reporting WAAS, with best accuracy that day of eleven feet.

Since then, to my great disappointment, there has been no sign of WAAS. I finally found a European Commission document which explained that EGNOS, which is the European version of WAAS, had been delayed, but was due to go live in early 2008, so it seems that they may have been testing it on that day. The document also explained that Galileo, which is the full rolll-out of thirty satellites to give coverage equivalent or better than existing GPS, had been very much delayed, and now looks like going fully live somewhere around 2012, if it doesn't hit further economic and logistical problems.

For the moment I'm just looking forward to regular EGNOS, because the improvement was seriously useful.

Best,

Peter

--

*******