[gpodder-devel] upgrade downloads from 0.8.0 to 0.8.9?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:51:47 +0100

Hello Paul,

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:21:45 +0100 paul wrote:
> If you think it is not a too complicated job, I can try. So maybe it
> cost me more time to program than to download them again, but I have
> some time available. It is extremely slow at my work at the
> moment.... So yes, I think I would appreciate some instructions.

The filesystem structure from gPodder 0.8.0 to 0.8.9 changed like this:

0.8.0:
~/.config/gpodder/downloads/[short-name]/[filename].[ext]

where [short-name] is the name with spaces and special characters
stripped, also found in "channels.xml" in the gPodder config dir. The
[filename] part is the md5sum of the filename download URL.

0.8.9:
[gpodder-download-dir]/[md5-channel]/[filename].[ext]

Where [md5-channel] is the md5sum of the channel feed URL and
[filename] is the same as in 0.8.0.

To convert the old file naming scheme to the new one, you would have to

1) get a list of all channel URLs from channels.xml plus
   their correspondent "short-name" values
2) calculate the md5sum of the channel URL
3) create the new channel downloads folder (md5sum of channel URL)
4) move all downloads + index.xml (local podcast database) to the new
   download folder
5) manually move any leftover podcasts, probably from pre-0.7 gpodder
   filenaming system (was: filename on server)

If you really come around to working out a script, I'd be glad to add
it to the gPodder distribution :)

HTH.