[gpodder-devel] gPodder - Thanks and Wishlist

  • From: pdedecker at gmail.com (Pieter De Decker)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:38:31 +0200

> This is exactly what I am referring to :-) "The blue dot". I am more than
> happy to test this.
> Basically the blue dot disappears when you hit play on a track.
First of all: if anybody thinks I'm wrong, correct me. On your iPod you'll
find a folder that contains information about your entire music database (not
the actual MP3s, they're stored somewhere else), including podcasts. You can
find this folder in <mountpoint>/iPod_Control/iTunes/. If you try to open one
of these files, you'll see that you can't read them. Apple isn't going to
tell developers of iTunes alternatives how they can read/write these database
files, so these people have to find out how to do it on their own. They've
only figured out yet how to add *music* files to your iPod. As a result of
that research, they've made a command line program to do just that. gPodder
uses that program to add your podcasts to the iPod database. Because gPodder
depends on that program, the developer will have to wait for that program to
support podcasts before it can add your podcasts to the actual Podcasts menu.
gPodder is a podcast managing tool that can use that program to add them to
your iPod, but it's not really a tool to manage your iPod.