[gpodder-devel] gPodder - Thanks and Wishlist

  • From: stephan.buys at gmail.com (Stephan Buys)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:00:13 +0200

Hi Thomas,

> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 08:03 +0200, Stephan Buys wrote:
> > 1. A way to track which Podcasts have been played (either through the
> > play button or through Device Sync)
>
> If you're talking about simply marking an episode as played as soon as
> you click on the "Play" button, this is no problem. But I suppose you
> will want to mark it played only when the player application finished
> playing the song? That'd be technically difficult.
>
> Another option would be to mark the episode played as soon as you click
> on the Play button but add the ability to mark episodes unplayed again
> (like e-mail programs do for read/unread). Would this fulfill the need?

The Podcast menu actually supports "Played/Unplayed" states. Its pretty
basic in that the moment you play the track on the ipod it marks it as
played in itunes. (as opposed to tracking that you finished listening to the
whole track).

In other words: Same principle as with "Hitting the play button" in the
player - just getting the information from the iPod.

> 2. A way for my iPod to then update and reflect the "played" status of
> > the podcasts.
>
> I think newer iPods have something that has been described to me as a
> "blue dot", but on my iPod mini, I can't see the played/unplayed status
> of Podcasts. If you want such a feature, you'd have to test it on your
> iPod and report back if it works or not, because I can't test here.

This is exactly what I am referring to :-) "The blue dot". I am more than
happy to test this.
Basically the blue dot disappears when you hit play on a track.

> > 3. An option to only synchronize "unplayed, the last 3 unplayed, etc"
> > podcast.
>
> I suppose as soon as we're having better sync support (e.g. "delete
> podcasts from iPod that have been deleted from the computer" and "delete
> podcasts already played on iPod from iPod and computer", etc..) we will
> also have more configuration options for synchronization. For now, you
> can always simply select the episodes you want to sync and click on the
> "Transfer" button --- oh, wait.. that's just in the svn version. I'll
> have a look if we can do a new release soon enough to push out the new
> sync features to a broader audience in a stable release :)

BTW - I can probably contribute .deb packaging for the upcoming Ubuntu
release, let me know if you would be interested.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kind regards,
Stephan Buys