[gpodder-devel] Help! gpodder no longer syncs episodes (?)

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:43:21 +0200

Hi Wilfred,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:39:11AM -0700, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:
> > No, I personally don't use iPod syncing anymore, but there
> > also have not
> > really been any changes to the code so far. Maybe the
> > GStreamer-based
> > track length detection is acting up? Please try "git pull"
> > the latest
> > version of the development version (master branch) and see
> > if this fixes
> > your problem :)
>
> I use gtkpod also to sync other music to the same iPod, and that works
> fine. I use xfce4. What secondary softwares does gpodder use when
> syncing to an iPod? I can check individual programs to see if they
> work fine. I've double-checked the output from gpodder in the
> terminal. There's nothing to indicate that anything is going wrong.

gPodder uses python-gpod, which are the Python bindings to libgpod,
which in turn is the backend code for gtkpod and other applications
(libgpod came out of gtkpod development, and is since available as
separate library).

> The strange thing is that it seems to me that none of the related
> software has been updated recently. I have had some problems with
> gpodder before, but always it turned out that those problems were due
> to gentoo and python related issues, not gpodder itself. gtkpod still
> works fine, which indicates that there is no problem with the
> communication with my iPod. At present, I use a trick to circumvent
> the problem: in gpodder, I move all the files to the Desktop, and then
> sync with gtkpod - but of course this is not a good solution.

If gtkpod works fine, so should libgpod (and in turn python-gpod). Maybe
there really is a problem with track length detection. Maybe you could
try uninstalling eyeD3 or Python Imaging and see if this helps? You
could also try removing mplayer and see if this fixes the problem.

Have you tried syncing single files? Maybe only a specific feed is
affected. Do you sync MP3 files or OGG files? Does gPodder try to
convert the OGG files to MP3? Maybe this is taking a bit long?

Anyway, it would be good if you could file a bug report on
http://bugs.gpodder.org/ so we can track the progress on fixing this
bug. I'll need your assistance with trying things out, as I don't have
an iPod myself, and it probably isn't that easy to reproduce your
specific configuration for which it happens.