[gpodder-devel] Changing downloads tab to actions tab?

  • From: dan at danfinnie.com (Daniel Finnie)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:57:22 -0500

Hi,

I've been using gPodder for a few weeks now and it is definitely the best
podcast client I've used on Linux, but that's not to say the software is
without flaws.  The biggest thing about gPodder that I would like to see
improved is the modal feed checking, file downloading, and file transfers to
an MP3 player.  I don't see a technical reason why the application can't
transfer an episode to my MP3 player while I click around to find other
episodes to transfer.

To solve this, I propose changing the downloads tab to an actions tab that
would list pending actions and their state.

Much like the downloads are handled now, I would add options to select how
many concurrent transfers are allowed and how many concurrent feed updates
are allowed.  Possibly, a "total concurrent actions" option could be
implemented.

I see this as a huge benefit as it allows:
- Users with fast Internet connections to update multiple feeds at once.
- Users would be able to pick one file to transfer to an MP3 player and have
it transfer while browsing around for another file to transfer.
- Reduce "task bar clutter."

The only drawback I can see is the additional coding required, however I
don't think it is too intensive.  When the user requests a feed update, it
will add itself to the queue and start executing if the max. concurrent feed
updates has not been reached.  When a feed update completes, it another feed
update so long as there is one to update.

In addition, threads will probably have to be used if they are not already.
Because gPodder is not cross-platform, I don't think this will be too much
of a problem.

So, finally, if I wrote up the code that implemented the above suggestion,
would it get merged into the gPodder trunk?  Or is there a reason that this
was not done already?

Best regards,
Dan Finnie
dan at danfinnie.com