[gpodder-devel] Basic BitTorrent Support - patch

  • From: nikosapi at gmail.com (nikosapi)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:08:02 -0400

On Saturday 07 April 2007 14:41:42 Thomas Perl wrote:
> Hello, Nick!
>
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 13:10 -0400, nikosapi wrote:
> > I added some basic support for rss feeds with torrents in them (like
> > feeds from revision3.com). It basically copies BitTorrent files to
> > another directory where they can be picked up by programs like
> > Azureus. Perhaps in the future support could be added to run a script
> > to start a download for a torrent but for now this will work with
> > clients that support directory monitoring.
>
> I've looked at your patch and refined it. I'm not a torrent downloader,
> but I've tested a feed from revision3.com. Basically, this downloads
> the .torrent file and then calls "gnome-btdownload" with the torrent and
> the torrent filename (thanks to your code ;) and saves the real file in
> the selected torrent download folder. Please have a look if this would
> work eventually. Of course, we should make the torrent client
> configurable later.
>
> Basically, you can download the .torrent and gPodder then starts
> gnome-btdownload as soon as the torrent is downloaded. You can close
> down gnome-btdownload and continue the download later by clicking on the
> torrent in gPodder's main window and click on "download" (which opens
> gnome-btdownload and continues the download).
>
> I've included the patch, as I'm not yet sure if this is what a torrent
> user would expect from gPodder - I need your feedback :)
>
> > I've also been working on automatic updating and automatic downloading
> > of new shows but I can't seem to get it to work. I know it's because
> > of the way threading works in gPodder, I just can't figure it out.
>
> Nice :) As always, just send the patch in when you think it's ready,
> I'll have a look at it =)
>

> Enjoy,
> Thomas

Ok, I looked it over and made a few changes.
I really like the idea of using Gnome BitTorrent to download files, I'm glad
you thought of that. The reason why I made gpodder move the files to a folder
is very specific to me which I realize is wrong but let me explain.

I have a BitTorrent server running Azureus, the way I get new torrents into it
is via a command that works with firefox/konqueror/etc to move the torrent
file to a specific folder on my nfs server. From there the BitTorrent server
picks up the file and downloads it! (I know one other person that does it
this way, I can only imagine there are more)

So I added a way to choose what the torrent save folder is used for, either to
save the actual .torrent files or as the save the dir for Gnome BitTorrent.
It's all explained to the user in the radiobutton's tooltip.

I also made sure that all the files that are copied have a .torrent extention
(otherwise Azureus ignores them) and made sure the torrent files are all
chmod'ed so everyone has read/write permission to them. That is also because
if they aren't Azureus might have trouble deleting them. (It's a good thing
that it's able to delete them.)

Tell me what you think! :-D

nick