[gpodder-devel] Basic BitTorrent Support - patch

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:41:42 +0200

Hello, Nick!

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 13:10 -0400, nikosapi wrote:
> I added some basic support for rss feeds with torrents in them (like
> feeds from revision3.com). It basically copies BitTorrent files to
> another directory where they can be picked up by programs like
> Azureus. Perhaps in the future support could be added to run a script
> to start a download for a torrent but for now this will work with
> clients that support directory monitoring.

I've looked at your patch and refined it. I'm not a torrent downloader,
but I've tested a feed from revision3.com. Basically, this downloads
the .torrent file and then calls "gnome-btdownload" with the torrent and
the torrent filename (thanks to your code ;) and saves the real file in
the selected torrent download folder. Please have a look if this would
work eventually. Of course, we should make the torrent client
configurable later.

Basically, you can download the .torrent and gPodder then starts
gnome-btdownload as soon as the torrent is downloaded. You can close
down gnome-btdownload and continue the download later by clicking on the
torrent in gPodder's main window and click on "download" (which opens
gnome-btdownload and continues the download).

I've included the patch, as I'm not yet sure if this is what a torrent
user would expect from gPodder - I need your feedback :)

> I've also been working on automatic updating and automatic downloading
> of new shows but I can't seem to get it to work. I know it's because
> of the way threading works in gPodder, I just can't figure it out.

Nice :) As always, just send the patch in when you think it's ready,
I'll have a look at it =)

Enjoy,
Thomas