[goodfeel] Re: rests and pickup measures in Lime Notation Editor

  • From: "albertm13@xxxxxxxx" <albertm13@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:33:54 GMT

The mouse operations that do the same things that Bill described are preceeded
with $$$.
Albert

-- "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, Debra,

As you know, our GOODFEEL Braille Music Translator ships with a licensed
copy of both the SharpEye Music Reader music OCR software and the Lime
notation editor.  Our Lime Aloud scripts are also installed for those
customers who use the JAWS for Windows screen reader.  Lime Aloud gives
verbal and musical cues while the JAWS user scrolls through the score.  The
print notation is displayed on screen while the equivalent braille music
notation can be displayed on a braille display.  Print and braille notation
scrolls in sync so that sighted and blind users know the precise note in the
score which is highlighted and can communicate with each other about the
music even though they may not understand how to read notation in both
mediums.  See http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm for details.

In the instructions below, I have tried to give equivalents for sighted
users but since I use JAWS myself, I know the keyboard-based commands much
better.  I'd appreciate it if a sighted subscriber would describe how he or
she selects rhythmic values in Lime using the mouse.

To enter rests:

Voice | Note Entry or CONTROL+N to toggle Notation Entry Mode on
$$$ double-click the note or rest where you want to start adding notes and
single-click a note or rest to leave note entry mode.  The Lime manual refers
to these two modes as the 'Note Entry Cursor' and the 'Edit Cursor'.

Set rhythmic value with numbers 1-6 on Numbers Row
$$$ single-click the rhythm in the Piano window.

Type the letter R to enter a rest equal to the rhythmic value you have set.
$$$ Single-click the rest on the right side of the piano window.

See the heading "Notes (Adding and Editing)" in the Lime Aloud Guide.
Shortcut to this document: Start Menu | Programs | Lime | Lime Aloud Guide.

Setting Pick-up Measures

If the first measure of a piece has fewer beats than established by the time
signature of the piece, that bar is called a pick-up or anacrusis.  To
number the pick-up measure as 0:

Move to the first note of the pick-up measure in the top staff of the piece.

Edit | Options or ALT+E, O.

set "Start bar numbers at" to 0

See Page 38 of the MS Word version of the GOODFEEL manual for more on bar
numbering rules.  Shortcut to this document: Start Menu | Programs |
GOODFEEL | GOODFEEL Manual in MS Word.  You can also find this information
by selecting Help from GOODFEEL's menu, click on the Index tab, type in
"pickup" and click Display.

I have copied this reply to our GOODFEEL list.  If you're not subscribed and
would like to be, just let me know.  In general, our ddots-l list focuses on
audio production and related topics.  However, a number of customers
subscribe to both the GOODFEEL and the ddots-l lists.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com