[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats / XML, Profiles

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Tim Hockin wrote:

> That said, I COMPLETELY AGREE with all the arguments about complexity.  I
> don't want a ton of bugs or a ton of runtime choices.  I don't want the
> plugin to have to negotiate {datatype x format x encoding}.  But I don't
> want to make major architectural changes later.
> Can we find something SIMPLE that gives us some flexibility?  Something that
> allows plugin writers to just take the SDK base code and start hacking?

Yes. A plugin object has one format, and one only. However, we make the
plugin enumeration side of GMPI-hosting smart enough to be able to
understand that "AudioCorp ProVerb 32-bit" and "AudioCorp ProVerb 64-bit"
are fundamentally two related plug-ins. If any Digidesign engineers are
reading this, perhaps you could explain how your SDK handles this kind of
thing.. it's rather more elegant than other existing APIs as far as
enumeration goes, but I don't want to say more because of NDA :-(

Regards,
        Angus.