[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats / XML, Profiles

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

> If you take the VST API as an example. There's not much dependancy on the
> sample format.  Changing the audio datatype to double precision would be
> very easy.

If you recompile everything, yeah.  If you have Float32 plugins and your
hoat converts to Float64, what can you do?  Or if you have a suite of
plugins that all want to speak Float64, but your host is only Float32.

> My expectation is you wouldn't normally mix plugin types in the same
> host(that would require converters, yuck).

My expectation is that almost every plugin would be written to Float32.
Then Float64 will come en vogue, and little by little they'll convert.

If we don't have a migration plan, I fear that we're just painting ourselves
into a corner.

That said, I COMPLETELY AGREE with all the arguments about complexity.  I
don't want a ton of bugs or a ton of runtime choices.  I don't want the
plugin to have to negotiate {datatype x format x encoding}.  But I don't
want to make major architectural changes later.

Can we find something SIMPLE that gives us some flexibility?  Something that
allows plugin writers to just take the SDK base code and start hacking?

I suggested a simple plugin-global variable for datatype.  Maybe that isn't
sufficient.  Maybe it should be per-port, but static.  No list, no
negotiation.  The plugin says 'I want this datatype on this port'.  And to
make life even easier, we make GMPI 1.0 ONLY support Float32.  If/When we
need we can decide to add Float64.  And if we decide, we can support other
(PCM) datatypes - LATER.

Is that so bad?