[gmpi] Re: Reqs 5, 6, 11 for debate

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:31:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If Longhorn gives me page locked memory and CPU and disk reserves, you bet I
> want to use it.  If I host a GMPI plugin that is allocating memory that
> might fault during streaming, or reading from disk outside my reserve, I
> can't host it within the scope of these new services.

OK... well I don't think we have that in the requirements as yet. Can
someone comment about whether Linux and OS X in particular have similar
functionality modes for audio, and if/whether they're
practical/needed/useful for acheiving decent low-latency performance
under moderate to high system load on those OSes.

If so, we need something like:-

"Host applications may wish to run GMPI plug-ins in a special high
priority context which has various restrictions on system calls and
memory allocation. Therefore, GMPI must provide a means for:-
- the host to tell if a plugin is capable of running in such a