[gmpi] Re: My plugin system

  • From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:37:12 +0300

>From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>"Need" is pretty heavy handed.  Your example is rather fringe, honestly.  It
>immediately strikes me as something you should do as a mini-modular system.
>Define a very simple plugin system (you don't need to solve all the problems
>that GMPI does) and make them all mini-plugins.  Then wrap that all in GMPI.
>Very much how Reaktor, Tassman, VazModular etc. do for VST.

What program would schedule such a mimi-modular system? I don't
want write such a flow engine/scheduler myself as there are
already plenty available.

Are you saying that Reaktor instruments can be run in VST Tassman and
in VST VazModular? So, I could write my reverb with Reaktor then
if everyone is able to use Reaktor instruments.

>We can and should show a simple example of traversing a
>GMPI graph, but don't expect that to be the one-true algorithm.

So there *is* a GMPI graphs in the standard afterall. Sorry, I thought
GMPI is only something simpler. But now I can say I don't need anything
else: yes, the flow engine/scheduler is part of the hosts; and
if a host do not have the flow engine, then the host may forward the
graph to the nearest plugin which implements the flow engine.

Do I have understood this wrong?

Lets repeat how I would write my reverb:
 -I would write a multitap plugin; called as multitap()
 -I would write a late reverberator; called as laterev()
 -I would write a bandsplit filter; called as bandsplit()
 -I would write GMPI graph description for how the complete
  reverb is assembled
Then the host would take all the functions and the graph for
forwarding them to a nearest flow system, e.g., to
Csound or to Reaktor which would support GMPI.

Best regards,
Juhana