[gmpi] Re: My plugin system

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:08:57 -0700

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 08:17:05PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Then we also need a separate flow graph standard, so that my reverb
> written as a set of both the GMPI plugins and the flow graph
> descriptions would work in all such flow engine plugins.

"Need" is pretty heavy handed.  Your example is rather fringe, honestly.  It
immediately strikes me as something you should do as a mini-modular system.
Define a very simple plugin system (you don't need to solve all the problems
that GMPI does) and make them all mini-plugins.  Then wrap that all in GMPI.
Very much how Reaktor, Tassman, VazModular etc. do for VST.

> What if my reverb wants to use third party late reverberation unit?
> I should write a simple GMPI host inside my reverb which then either
> runs a monolithic late reverberator or runs a GMPI plugin with a flow
> engine which finally runs a graph of a late reverberator.

?  What exactly do you mean by 'flow engine'?  The ability to load
sub-graphs should be trivial.  If it is not part of the SDK, then a
GMPI-host plugin which loads sub-graphs will be one of my own first
projects.  Stop fretting, if that is what pesters you.  If it is something
else, then you ned to be clearer.

> It all would be simpler if the flow graph description would be part
> of the GMPI. The problem that then each host should have a flow engine

The actual graph-processing code my be examples in the SDK, but I think that
this is one area where hosts will do their own thing - threaded,
non-threaded, etc.  We can and should show a simple example of traversing a
GMPI graph, but don't expect that to be the one-true algorithm.

I feel like I am misunderstanding what you want..

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,