[gmpi] Re: My plugin system

  • From: Marco Ballini <marcoballini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Oct 2003 03:49:28 +0200

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 19:44, Tim Hockin wrote:
> The host IS the graph processor.  As I see it, the host has a few
> responsibilities:
>
> * processing the graph
> * providing a UI
> * managing buffers/memory
> * doing things that let plugins work (helper-threads, timers, etc)
>
> As I see it, GMPI is not rigth until most everythign else can be a plugin:
> sequencers, automation engines, tempo control, MIDI in/out.  I'd even like
> to see drivers be plugins, but I'm willing to bend on that  :)
I agree with this vision, though I wouldn't use the word "host". In the
case where a graph of plugins is wrapped and executed by another plugin,
a "network plugin", to run this you would need an "host" app.
Processing the graph could be done by the network plugin, while managing
buffers of memory could be done by the host.

Ciao,
Marco