[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:26:46 -0700

Hi Cris,

I'm a bit confused, you now apear to be saying it's OK to
convert MIDI to a GMPI-style event.  Your proposal is
broadly similar to what I expected a GMPI event to be like.
Still, I won't complain about that.

What I'm not clear on:

Would controller values like Note Velocity be transmitted as
7 bit, or floating point?

Jeff

Oops, you're right, I missed velocity. It would depend on the actual GMPI note model, of course -- which, there isn't any yet -- but I imagined it would be a high-res datatype. From the MIDI POV, as long as it losslessly converts to/from 7 bits, there's no need for it to actually be 7 bits in the message data.

Note, I allow the original MIDI message to be optionally stapled to the message too, so for hosts and plugs that do prefer to work directly in MIDI messages they can -- but in a completely host-tracked manner, with properly synchronous event delivery.

-- Chris G.