[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:34:14 +0100

From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 01:25:54PM +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > instead of saying MIDI, say "external".  The goal is not to ghetto-ize
> > > MIDI messgaes, but to make ANY external message become GMPI internally.
> > > OSC, HID, MIDI, etc.
> >
> > You only change the encoding. A plugin that wants to support both MIDI and
> > OSC will still have to support both these protocols in the new encoding. I
> > really
> > don't see what this gains...
>
> Umm, maybe you didn't read the proposal, or maybe I read it totally
> incorrectly...NOthing supports "both" protocols - THERE IS ONLY ONE
> protocol.

I don't believe in 'only on protocol', i.e. making a new protocol that is both
fully compatible to MIDI and does more is IMHO two protocols.

> All plugins use the same protocol.  It does everything that MIDI can do.

I doubt that.

> This "encoding" (wrong word, because a byte stream may not be the best end
> result) is flexible enough to handle additions if and when we need them.

But a plugin won't just magically support those additions. Let's say you add
a different way to control voices than the standard note on/off. The plugin
has to support both note on/off messages and this new system.

--ms