[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:38:00 -0700

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:30:27PM +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> > > Either all MIDI commands are supported and work as they do in MIDI, or
> >
> > Almost all the MIDI "commands" boil down to a variant of "set this thing
> > to this value".  Not too hard to encapsulate.
>
> _almost_ all MIDI commands. And not that note on/off also are not in that
> category.

Actually, note on/off can be boiled down to a per-voice parameter.  It may
not be the model we want to achieve but imagin this:

* allocate a voice-id
* set velocity=123 for the voice-id's per-voice velocity param
* set pitch=60.0 for the voice-id's per-voice pitch param
* set on=1 for the voice-id's per-voice on param

> > If there are OSC "commands" that we need to handle, then we can encode
> > them into the same API.  You don't ever need to worry about them because
> > you won't handle them.  Isn't that the *right* way to do it?
>
> No, because if two types of control are truly different it actually makes
> sense to handle them seperately.

I don't think they are truly different.  I could be proven wrong, but the
folk who know OSC well have not jumped up and down yet...