[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:12:57 +1200

Hi All,

Tim.
> well, it would be more work without MIDI in the graph, I admit.

*grin* Not so fast........Just one example:

When my VST plugins receive a MIDI CC.  The first task is convert it to
normalized floating point.
 Reason: The Streaming Audio is in floating point format, the Plugins's
parameters are in floating point format. All the DSP code operates on
floats.

So when GMPI proposes: "Host will convert MIDI CCs from 7-bit to floating
point".

I'm like: "great, that's one less thing to code next time".

I wasn't pushing these things for some intellectual "right way", ivory tower
reason.
 It's a practical proposal to make it easier, faster, and cheaper to write
plugins. (more dollars in my pocket)

Best Regards,
Jeff

PS.  Sorry for the "Valley Girl" talk.