[gmpi] Re: GIMPI-MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:06:34 +0900

Hi from a lull the Tokyo MMA/AMEI meeting... haven't been following the thread lately (sorry), but wanted to amplify on this topic.

Some music event protocols -- ZIPI, for example -- have the notion of a unique ID per event, sort of a serial number. Or think of a window context reference in classic Mac OS -- just some unique tag that you can match for later. That lets you target later update events to the exact note you need -- single-note pitchbend in a polyphonic channel being the most obvious example. I've always liked the idea, personally. A nice way to go beyond MIDI in the plug API (for future protocol expansion or custom stuff) without requiring any changes in any existing MIDI gear or sequences.

Just my two cents.

-- Chris G.

> If the status field has a fractional part, the fraction acts as an
 instance tag and the event is routed to the instrument instance that
 first received a note on message with that tag.

I didn't follow that. Could you rephrase? What exactly do you mean by "instance tag" in this context? And you mean that, if status is for example 6.3, then 0.3 is the "instance tag"? I think that I'm not really getting what you mean...