[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up - UST

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:25:34 -0500

Sorry to swoop in after such a long discussion, but it's been a busy
week for me here in the woodshed.

I believe that UST has no place in GMPI.  Totally optional, plugin
dependent (if a plugin wants it), but shouldn't be in the spec.

I say this because IMO the only plugin that could make practical use of
UST/sample sync is a renderer.  This fact made itself obvious to me when
folks started talking about ASIO and UST.  GMPI doesn't address ASIO!
GMPI is a plugin spec, ASIO is a driver spec.

In other words, UST matters in drivers, who need to sync real world time
to streams.  Everything else in the graph that's upstream from the
driver might be delayed, queued, etc, arbitrarily.  For example, suppose
my host puts a 10 second delay buffer at the end of the graph, before
the renderer (driver).  I prefill this buffer before streaming really
starts.  During his prefill, what use is UST to any plugin?

So to summarize, UST is a rendering thing.  Specifically, 99% of the
time, a vidoe rendering.  It belongs in the driver, IMO.