[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up - UST

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:41:32 +0100

> > > not necessary, but sufficient, right?
> >
> > Yes, but if the hardware/driver supports timestamping and does this at
some
> > other MSC then it would make sense to use that.
>
> If we define UST, how do we ensure that a driver gets UST from the same
> place?  Sadly, there is not a UST defined for many pltforms.
>
> Or is it sufficient to say that UST is any clock with sufficient
> resolution.  If the audio driver does it, the host can use that.  If it
> doesn't, it can call any platform-specific timing function it chooses
(such
> as get_clock, gettimeofday, rdtscll, etc).  Thus, the same host on two
> different soundcards may get two different UST sources.  As long as it is
> monotonic and linear and has less than X drift, it is fine?

I'd say the exact source of the UST would be platform/implementation
defined. On an SGI machine with IRIX one would use the system's
GetUST() library call.

Plugins should not care about the exact UST implementation as long
as the UST support for the various subsytems (of which GMPI is one)
is compatible.

I wouldn't exactly define the UST time source in the GMPI spec.

--ms