[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up - UST

  • From: Martijn Sipkema <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:29:07 +0100

[...]
> I believe that UST has no place in GMPI.  Totally optional, plugin
> dependent (if a plugin wants it), but shouldn't be in the spec.

UST has to be in the spec to be of any use. It may be optional.

> I say this because IMO the only plugin that could make practical use of
> UST/sample sync is a renderer.  This fact made itself obvious to me when
> folks started talking about ASIO and UST.  GMPI doesn't address ASIO!
> GMPI is a plugin spec, ASIO is a driver spec.

But a plugin that "renders" to display is not uncommon and needs UST.

> In other words, UST matters in drivers, who need to sync real world time
> to streams.  Everything else in the graph that's upstream from the
> driver might be delayed, queued, etc, arbitrarily.  For example, suppose
> my host puts a 10 second delay buffer at the end of the graph, before
> the renderer (driver).  I prefill this buffer before streaming really
> starts.  During his prefill, what use is UST to any plugin?

UST would be of use as long as the plugin can use it to estimate
when a sample will be performed. The host will be able to provide
this by keeping the audio interface running.

> So to summarize, UST is a rendering thing.  Specifically, 99% of the
> time, a vidoe rendering.  It belongs in the driver, IMO.

It does belong to the driver, but it is also supposed to be used
and there are valid uses of UST for plugins. I don't think there is
any other way to do accurate sync with the display without UST.

--ms