[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up #2 - LET'S FINISH

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:43:33 +0100

On Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:42 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:01:11AM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>> Well, I still can't live with 3.9.29 as a requirement. Optional for
>> host, yes, requirement no.
>
> We're at a bit of an impasse.  Supporting this should be VERY SIMPLE and
> will probably be done in the SDK.
>
> How can we make this useful while making it optional?  What do you expect
> a host to do if it finds a plugin which needs UST?
>
> Everyone: What if we say that plugins somehow indicate that they need UST,
> and if the host chooses not to provide it, the host can fail that plugin?
> Or perhaps the plugin should check if the host can provide UST, and the
> PLUGIN (as opposed to the host) handles the error?
>
> This is a slippery slope.  Do we want to go down it?

I already hinted I'd rather not.

But if we *do* need to take the "optional" road:
- if we let the host fail the plugin, I can tell my users: "host X doesn't
support the features my 'sofisticated' plugin needs"
- if we let the plugin handle it, I first thought "well, at least we get a
chance to do something useful ourselves then", but if it's a feauture your
plugin really needs, of course this is nonsense, so I'd rather not take this
option after all

Koen