[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up #2 - LET'S FINISH

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:55:29 -0800

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:24:54PM -0500, Ron Kuper wrote:
> I think it's possible to provide UST as a separate standalone object,
> and make it part of the GMPI library.  This pretty much how DirectX does
> it with their IReferenceClock.  They provide a default reference clock
> as a COM object that hangs off the system clock.  If you've written an
> audio renderer, and you want others in the graph to sync to you, you
> expose a reference clock.  The graph manager snoops around to see who
> has a clock, and uses what it finds.  With this approach a host doesn't
> need to know or care.

Well, to be useful, the clock needs to be consulted before any plugins start
processing().  The simplest specification is to say that the host provides
the clock.  The work of actually manipulating a clock source and converting
to nanos can be in the GMPI lib.

The host coder will not need to do that work (as little as it may be).  All
they will need is to call into that clock to get the timestamps and pass it
along to plugins.

Mike, is this still a problem?