[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up #2 - LET'S FINISH

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:42:08 -0800

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:01:11AM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       Well, I still can't live with 3.9.29 as a requirement. Optional for
> host, yes, requirement no.

We're at a bit of an impasse.  Supporting this should be VERY SIMPLE and will
probably be done in the SDK.

How can we make this useful while making it optional?  What do you expect a
host to do if it finds a plugin which needs UST?

Everyone: What if we say that plugins somehow indicate that they need UST,
and if the host chooses not to provide it, the host can fail that plugin?
Or perhaps the plugin should check if the host can provide UST, and the
PLUGIN (as opposed to the host) handles the error?

This is a slippery slope.  Do we want to go down it?