[gmpi] Re: 3.13 Persistence

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 01:58:52 +0200

On Friday, May 28, 2004 9:56 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No one wants to argue on this one?  I'll just file it away and move on,
> then.  Fair?

My girlfriend had an operation and I was with her in the hospital for a
couple of days. There are other things in the world than GMPI lists, you
know ;-)
I didn't mean to just "post and run", sorry for that.

(comments below)

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:29:19PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:42:29PM +0200, Koen Tanghe wrote:
>>> But (oh yeah, can't help it) one thing I thought should be included
>>> somehow is version information. Or maybe everyone is fine with each
>>> plugin developer
>>
>> I'd assume that version would be part of the metadata, but is it required
>> in a preset?  I mean, Req 61 says that a preset must hold enough info to
>> identify the plugin from which it came.

Sure, that should be fine (I mysteriously missed that part in the req.
somehow, don't ask me how...)

>>  If two versions of the same
>> plugin are not compatible, are they the same?
>>
>> I guess the flip is that you should have no problem loading a v1 preset
>> into a v2 instance, but you should fail to load a v2 preset into a v1
>> plugin.  or should you?  Isn't that th eplugin's problem?  How do you
>> handle loading a v2 preset which has new properties into a v1 instance
>> which is missing those new properties?  Should te hhost fail it?

Nah, you're right: the plugin developer can handle it best. There must be a
way for the plugin to tell the host it could not handle the preset then, I
guess.

>> If so, then versions should be included, with the rule that plugins
>> should be backwards compatible or change their plugin ID.
>>
>>> Along the same lines, but more difficult and maybe overhead: what about
>>> a way to identify the plugin the preset / bank files belong to? Do we
>>> need that for anything?
>>
>> Hrrm, the reqs say that you need to be able to identify which plugin a
>> prese/patch belongs to but they don't say anything about a bank.  Should
>> they?

If banks are merely presets collected in some known (not plugin-dependent)
"container-structure", it should be fine with the part in the reqs. I had
missed, yes.

Koen