[gmpi] Re: 3.13 Persistence

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:29:19 -0700

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:42:29PM +0200, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> But (oh yeah, can't help it) one thing I thought should be included somehow
> is version information. Or maybe everyone is fine with each plugin developer

I'd assume that version would be part of the metadata, but is it required
in a preset?  I mean, Req 61 says that a preset must hold enough info to
identify the plugin from which it came.  If two versions of the same
plugin are not compatible, are they the same?

I guess the flip is that you should have no problem loading a v1 preset
into a v2 instance, but you should fail to load a v2 preset into a v1
plugin.  or should you?  Isn't that th eplugin's problem?  How do you
handle loading a v2 preset which has new properties into a v1 instance
which is missing those new properties?  Should te hhost fail it?

If so, then versions should be included, with the rule that plugins should
be backwards compatible or change their plugin ID.

> Along the same lines, but more difficult and maybe overhead: what about a
> way to identify the plugin the preset / bank files belong to? Do we need
> that for anything?

Hrrm, the reqs say that you need to be able to identify which plugin a
prese/patch belongs to but they don't say anything about a bank.  Should
they?