[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:31:44 -0700

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 10:50:28AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > The DSP changes it's own values.  How do all the things like GUI, motorized
> > controllers, whatever which need to represent the CURRENT value get updated?
>
> Internal values, its not neccesary to fake input from the host or whatever
> in this case.

You kind of lost me again.  The DSP module changes it's internal parameters,
but does not reflect that in the various UIs?

> Motorised controllers should be reflected as a UI component, or as a host
> native thing, surely? Motorised controllers are a UI object, so if they
> have to appear as plugins then something's not right.

Motorized controllers are a UI.  Endless rotary knobs with leds all around
(like Nord 3 :) are a UI.  a GUI is a UI.  All are the same.  They need to
be notified when the value they represent changes.  One of the biggest
annoyances in standard MIDI knobs is when the knob and the soft param are
not in sync.  Yuck.

I think we're saying the same thing here, aren't we?