[gmpi] Re: 3.10 (req. 39)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:42:45 -0800

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:27:58AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 04:46:17 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > Or do we scrap the whole idea and just say "2 channels == Left and Right"
> > and you can encode anything you want into those?

> 2 channels may also mean Mid and Side. Some things work fiine in MS (eg.
> compressors), some are useful, but do different things (eg. panners), some
> dont work (eg. reverbs).

Right - what I meant above was that we don't provide more than one
two-channel format.  Any two-channel connection is the same as any other.

> I think LR, MS and Prologic should all be in a "stereo" bundle type (they
> are all stereo formats), the specified convention being that Left, Mid or
> Prologic Left is first and Right, Side or Prologic Right comes second. The
> ports can be named appropriatly so that humans know what thier doing.

While I want to see hints attached that say "This is an M/S stream", it
seems that the complexity is probably not worth it.  Those sorts of things
are probably best left as documentation.  If your plugin outputs M/S it will
have a 2-channel output and your UI or manual will indicate that it is M/S.

Unless anyone wants to chime in and convince me that more detail is needed..

> Also the plugin author may not want to bundle stereo ins/outs if he
> intendends one in/out to be left unconnected sometimes - eg. reverbs.

True, too.