[gmpi] Re: 3.10 (req. 39)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:46:17 -0800

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:23:47PM -0000, Andy C wrote:
> What about the (admittedly  rather esoteric case) of a plug-in that wanted
> to treat a Matrix encoded  signal differently to a pure stereo one ?  I'm

If each stream is flagged with the encoding type, then the plugin can still
see the difference between the two.  Alternatively, if there were no flagged
aspect, it could have two inputs, one for Stereo and one for Prologic.

> possibility of an plug-in that wants to do it's on internal decoding  and
> possibly produce a 4 channel discrete output, would that need to know if the
> input was encoded ?

Nothing should disallow that.

The TBD specifically refers to plugins only allowing some encodings, but I
think I agree with Steve that this is gratuitous restriction.

I do think that maybe a 2-channel stereo stream should be marked as
different from a 2-channel LtRt (or whatever) stream.  Not sure how to do it
simply, though.  We want to allow matrix->stereo connections.

Do we allow connections based purely on channel count?

Do we only provide the encoding type on outputs (purely as a hint)?

Do we allow an output to switch between encodings?

Or do we only allow connections between like encodings and require a converter?

Or do we scrap the whole idea and just say "2 channels == Left and Right"
and you can encode anything you want into those?