[ggcsquicksig] Re: On-line Bill Pays

  • From: Babette Bloch <bcbloch@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:00:12 -0700

Bill Pay is a method of paying bills through a third party (such as a
bank), which either sends the payment electronically or by mail for you.

1 Bill Pay from a Bank with which you have an account, such as, in your
case, Wells Fargo, in mine, Bank of America.
        A. You set up a list of payees with the bank on the bank's web
site (using On Line Banking at that bank), and each month go to the
bank's Bill Pay web page, sign in and type in amount to be paid and date
you want it paid to each payee you are paying that month.
             If the payee is big, like PGE, department stores, credit
cards, the payment probably will go out electronically.  If it is a small
payee, like your doctor or dentist, or a gardener, the payment will be
mailed, just as if you wrote the check yourself and mailed it.
Therefore, with payments that go out by mail, be sure to leave enough
time for delivery.
                Some banks charge a monthly fee for using Bill Pay.  Even
if they do not make a charge, you do not pay for the postage of any
mailed checks.  Depending on how many payments you make a month, the
postage you save on all payments (assuming you would have mailed the
payments to PGE, etc), might be greater than the bank's charge for Bill
Pay.

        B. Many banks allow you to send the Bill Pay payment orders from
within Quicken, without having to go to their sites.  Some banks that
don't charge for using Bill Pay from their On Line Banking web page at
the bank site do charge if you send it from Quicken.
        I DON'T KNOW WHETHER WELLS FARGO CHARGES YOU FOR BILL PAY EVEN IF
YOU USE IT BY LOGGING ON TO THEIR SITE, OR ONLY IF YOU USE IT FROM WITHIN
QUICKEN, OR WHETHER THEY CHARGE MORE FOR USING IT FROM WITHIN QUICKEN
THAN IF YOU WENT TO THEIR WEB SITE.

WELLS FARGO HAS A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF USING QUICKEN AND BILL PAY WITH
THEM AT:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/faqs/quicken/
        It says there that they charge $3 per month for on-line banking
with Quicken (which I assume is a charge for downloading transactions
from your WF accounts into Quicken) and $9.95 a month for both the
downloads and Bill Pay through Quicken.
        From this it seems to me your should NOT be charged BOTH $3 and
$9.95 per month by Wells Fargo...just one or the other.
        However, I didn't dig deeper to find out if they charge anything
for Bill Pay directly from their site.

        C. In addition Quicken itself offers a Bill Pay service for which
they charge $9.95 a month.
        If you use the Quicken Bill Pay, you can authorize the payment
from any bank account you register with them for such payments.  (I have
never used Quicken Bill Pay, so I am not familiar with the details of its
use.  Some descriptions here:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-tools/online-bill-pay-software
.jsp

http://bill-paying-services-review.toptenreviews.com/quicken-bill-pay-rev
iew.html

        If you signed up for Quicken's Bill Pay service AND you
downloaded from Wells Fargo you'd get hit for both the $3 from WF and the
$9.95 from Quicken Bill Pay!

Quicken started offering Bill Pay a long time ago when very few banks
offered it, or charged for it.  Now, with most banks offering it and many
for free, I see no reason for the Quicken Service, unless someone is
switching from one bank's checking or MM account to another to pay bills.

Hope this helps.

Babette

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:41:37 -0700 "Ernie Pitz" <guidop6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
I need to know the difference between the 2 Online Bill Pays, Quicken and
Wells Fargo.
What’s the difference and are both needed?
How can I tell which I have. I do know that I have one, maybe both.
I believe I have Wells Fargo @ $3/ month and might have Quicken
at $ 9.95 /month.
As you can tell, I’m confused and should know, but don’t.
If you can enlighten me, please do.

Ernie
383-8143