[geocentrism] Re: Point d)

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:15:22 +0000 (GMT)

Philip M
I thought that a picture would be the best way to illustrate this but having
done this, it demonstrated the opposite of what the quote was saying. (See
attached).
You may care to look here http://www.wku.edu/~smithch/wallace/S115-116.htm
where you will find this -
If we look at the diagram of a sphere, and the space from the equator to the
pole be divided into equal parts subtending angles of one degree each at the
centre, and we then flatten the poles by cutting off a portion with a curve of
greater radius, it is evident that the distance from the pole to the centre of
the sphere will be shorter than before, and therefore, that degrees of
latitude, measured angularly from that centre, would really diminish in length
from the equator towards the poles.
... which I deduce supports my illustration. (It's not a long article and
interesting from several angles, especially it comments on the method of
determining latitude).
Paul D