[geocentrism] Re: For Martin

  • From: "Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:31:58 -0500

Jack,

I think you mean a 6-line staff, versus the traditional 5-line staff. Multiple staves are traditional on orchestral scores (one per instrument) and aren't unusual.

The white keys on the piano represent the unmodified pitches that would appear on a staff. There are seven per octave, coming full around to the original pitch (at double the frequency) on the eighth note (hence "octave"). When you add in the five black keys, seven plus five provides twelve different pitches, repeating at the 13th. The black notes are notated with special symbols in front of a regular unmodified pitch. The unmodified pitches are called "naturals" while adjustments up are prefixed with a sharp symbol and adjustments down with a flat symbol. In any event, a full octave can be written using a staff with only four lines (e.g., treble clef, the D above middle c to the D one octave higher -- the lower note sits in the space below the first staff line, the final note -- the 13th -- is the D sitting directly on the fourth line).

The so-called "grand staff" upon which most piano music is written is the combination of two staffs, the bottom one using bass clef, the top one using the treble clef. There is a virtual line between the two (upon which middle C in both staffs is shared), so technically the grand staff is an 11-line staff, with the middle line being hidden and only revealed by use of individual leger lines (to reveal the presence of the virtual line between bass and treble). Leger lines are used to extend the staff up or down as needed. Excessive use of leger lines is obviated by use of shorthand markings, such as 8va or 15ma, which, depending on position, indicates the notes are to be played one or two octaves either higher or lower than notated.

Notation has evolved over time. Four clefs are in common use. The clefs specify the identity of a specific note on the staff it rests on. The treble clef is the G clef, showing that G falls on the second line from the bottom. The bass clef is the F clef, specifying that F falls on the fourth line of the staff. The alto clef is one of the so-called C clefs that positions C on a specific line -- in this case, on the middle line of the staff. Violas use this clef almost exclusively. The tenor clef is also a C clef, but it positions C on the fourth line. Cellos, trombones, and bassoons occasionally use this clef for passages that lie high on the instrument. The appeal of switching to another clef is in avoiding the need to write lots of leger lines (which can be hard to read -- music notation is an intensely practical concern: the easier to read, the easier to play).

Practical considerations show that the human eye can instantly identify a pitch on a 5-line staff. When you increase the number of lines, the eye gets lost in the graphical context and can misjudge the pitch. So the need was to (1) make it readable as is, (2) providing a suitably large range of notes while (3) minimizing leger lines where possible (which can also be hard to read in excess).

Martin

On Sep 19, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Jack Lewis wrote:

Dear Steven and Martin,
I have always been puzzled why music wasn't written on 6 staves since there are 12 notes. Could it be that music has evolved from the simple tones to the more complex? If 6 staves were used would it not make playing different keys easier?