[geocentrism] Re: Equivalence

  • From: Neville Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:59:54 -0800

Philip,

Whilst it is true that I did not bother with this thread to begin with, and so have missed some of the earlier exchanges, yet it seems to me that Allen is making perfectly valid points.

Allen also states that he has to deal with many things at once, and I would say that I had seen that for myself and was trying to get the issue focussed.

I don't think that copying and pasting chucks of WickedPedia here is of much help and, as I said in response to Regner (tides) and Allen (free fall question to everyone), you cannot have gravitational attraction concentrated at the centre of mass on one hand and then split the force over an extended object on the other.

You were just playing with words over gravitation and gravity, and also with regard to what Einstein did or did not assume with General Relativity. I think that these are red herrings.

Particles of your hypothetical space vehicle are held in their relative positions by mechanical forces and chemical bonds. If the gravitational field were strong enough, then the spaceship would be stretched out of shape (as per the spaceman going through the event horizon of a 'black hole').